Black Forest Cocoa Crinkle Cookies
Recipe type: Cookie
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 tsp instant coffee crystals
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups white sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup dried tart cherries, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- In a small bowl combine the hot water and instant coffee crystals, stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the coffee mixture, eggs, sugar, cocoa, butter, baking powder, vanilla and salt. Mix together until fully blended.
- Stir the flour into the mixture thoroughly.
- Add the chocolate chips and cherries and mix together.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place powdered sugar in a small bowl or bag.
- Shape chilled dough into 1" balls; roll balls in powdered sugar until coated.
- Place balls 1" apart on cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes. Cookies will appear dry on top and may crack.
- Cool on sheet 1 minute and transfer to wire rack.
If you have access to blends of cocoa, try using one of them instead of the cocoa in this recipe. I have used a cocoa/cinnamon blend in these as well as a cocoa/cayenne pepper blend, both providing an unexpectedly multiflavored cookie.