Huge Batch of Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe type: Cookie
- 4 sticks of butter, melted
- ¾ cup shortening
- 3¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1¼ cup white sugar
- 5 eggs
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 6 cups quick cooking oats
- 5¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbs baking soda
- 2½ tsp salt
- 1 pkg (10-11 oz) chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Cream butter, shortening and sugars in a very large bowl until fluffy and light.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one
- Beat in buttermilk and vanilla
- Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt, and gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- (If you're dividing the dough, do it NOW)
- Stir in pecans and chips (if using them)
- Drop by tablespoonfulls 2" apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Cool 1 minute on sheet and transfer to wire rack
Huge is right; you can easily divide this recipe into thirds and make 3 different kinds of oatmeal cookies. I’ve divided it and added dark chocolate chips to one third, white chips to another third, and dried cranberries to the last third. This recipe can make over 150 cookies!